Ask An Accountant – Paying Your Taxes On Profit


Sharon over at Mom on Dealz has graciously shared her series Ask an Accountant with The Frugal Navy Wife. Sharon is married to an experienced accountant and while it is not tax season we always have questions. If you have a question email Sharon at cjwtaxpro@gmail.com with the subject line “Ask an Accountant”




I have a small business and I was wondering if I pay my taxes based on the income I earn or the income left after I have paid expenses?

You would pay your taxes on the net profit.  Net profit is calculated as follows:

Gross Revenues – Cost of Goods Sold (Direct Costs if a service business) – Operating Expenses (advertising, bank fees, rent, subcontractors, etc…) – Depreciation of Fixed Assets = Net Profit.  Keep in mind that not all cash outflows are considered expenses.  For example, purchase of inventory, sales tax payments, principal payments on loans, payroll withholding payments, loans or distributions to owner/member/shareholders, and personal income tax payments or estimated tax payments are not expenses.




*Please keep in mind this post is for informational purposes only and answers given are very general.  Do not rely on this column for definite tax answers as many things depend on individual circumstances.  Please contact your personal accountant or financial advisor for your particular situation.

how to have your dream wedding - thumbnailLooking to plan a wedding? On a tight budget and don't know where to start? Looking for wedding planning and decor ideas? Pick up How to Have Your Dream Wedding for Under $1,500 now available on Amazon and get the answers to all those questions and more! Get your copy today! It's only 99¢ for limited time!

Pin It

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on LinkedInEmail this to someonePrint this page

Speak Your Mind