So I came across this recipe and was excited! I had 3 loves of the frozen dough in my freezer. I figured this is what was going to be for dinner tonight PLUS make 2 batches to freeze for when the baby gets here! So here is the recipe for ONE meal 🙂
I added in browned ground beef in the sauce, you can do sausage too if you want or leave it meatless. I Also used a whole egg not just the egg white and it came out very crispy!
1 Loaf Rhodes Bread Dough or 12 Rhodes Dinner Rolls, thawed to room temperature
6 oz spaghetti, cooked
1 cup thick spaghetti sauce
8 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 –inch cubes
1 egg white
- Spray counter lightly with non-stick cooking spray (or use parchment paper).
- Roll loaf into a 12×16-inch rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Remove wrap from dough. Place spaghetti lengthwise in a 4-inch strip down the center of dough. Top with sauce and cheese cubes. (I places sauce on the dough then added spaghetti, if you use meat, add it to the sauce)
- Make cuts 1 ½-inches apart on long sides of dough to within ½-inch of filling.
- Begin braid by folding top and bottom strips toward filling. Then braid strips left over right, right over left. Finish by pulling last strip over and tucking under braid. (honestly this doesn’t have to be pretty just make sure it holds the filling in, some of my cheese oozed out)
- Lift braid with both hands and place on large sprayed baking sheet. (or transfer parchment paper to baking sheet). Brush with egg white and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley (I added garlic powder).
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and slice to serve.
The Result? We LOVED it! My kids even liked it though it was a little messy for a 2 and 3 year old!
**If you looking to freeze this stop after you braid it and freeze. When your ready to cook, defrost add egg, Parsley, garlic bread, and Parmesan cheese
Original Recipes From Rhodes Blog with step by step pics
I am a Wife, mom to 4 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, Frugalista, Book Worm, and Closet Want-to-be Chef. We are a Roadschool family (homeschooling on the road while traveling fulltime).
I grew up learning ways to save from my mom and grandma. I started my own coupon journey when my first child was born in 2009 and started the blog on 2010 when baby #2 was born to share my tips with everyone who kept asking about how I was getting diapers for $1 a pack!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.
Latest posts by Danielle, The Frugal Navy Wife (see all)
- Ways to Save Money – #1 Best Way to Save Money! - September 26, 2016
- Grilled Peach Chicken with a Cucumber and Peach Salad - September 23, 2016
- Build Your Own Wardrobe with Ohio State Apparel - September 21, 2016