This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
This old fashioned meatloaf recipe is one I have used forever, tweaked here and there but always came back to this original recipe. It was the recipe my grandparents used, and their parents used, so you know it's good!
The Best Old Fashioned Meatloaf Recipe You Will Eat
I LOVE to cook it in the meatloaf recipe in a glass “bread” pan that was my grandparents, and besides the chip on one side, it still does the job! I swear it makes it taste better even though I can't prove it!
You can also take this recipe and make individual meatloaves. Shape them and places them on a cookie sheet (tip use foil for easy cleanup!) and just adjust the cooking time down depending on the sizes you make.
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons snipped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup catsup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions for Old Fashioned Meatloaf
First, in a large bowl combine eggs and milk then stir in breadcrumbs. Next add in onion parsley, salt, sage, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix them together a few times the add in the beef and mix well. I suggest using your hands, and this is how I was taught, it mixes faster and better than using a spoon of any kind.
Shape your meatloaf into a ‘loaf' shape in not using a bread pan, though I suggest you do! Then go ahead and bake in a 350-degree oven for 50 minutes. Then make sure to spoon off excess fat.
Mix together the ketchup, sugar, and dry mustard, mix it well then spread over the top of the meatloaf.
Then return to oven for 10-15 minutes. This makes about six servings.
I love serving this with mashed potatoes, green beans, and my easy 7up biscuits.
If you love meatloaf like I do but are watching the calories, we love our Healthy Brown Sugar Meatloaf Recipe.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Combine eggs and milk; stir in crumbs, onion parsley, salt sage, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add beef; mix well.
- Pat into 5 1/2 cup ring mold; unmold in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Spoon off excess fat.
- Combine ketchup, sugar, and mustard; spread over meat.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
I am a Wife, mom to 4 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, Frugalista, Book Worm, and Closet Want-to-be Chef. We are a Roadschool family (homeschooling on the road while traveling fulltime).
I grew up learning ways to save from my mom and grandma. I started my own coupon journey when my first child was born in 2009 and started the blog on 2010 when baby #2 was born to share my tips with everyone who kept asking about how I was getting diapers for $1 a pack!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.
Latest posts by Danielle, The Frugal Navy Wife (see all)
- Freezer Jam – Easy Freezer Blueberry Jam Recipe - June 23, 2017
- 4th of July Decorations – DIY Patriotic Yarn Mason Jars - June 19, 2017
- Cheap Dinner Ideas – 10 Cheap Meals Made Out of Bread - June 9, 2017