This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Ok y’all I admit I love heading to Target, treating myself to a cup of Starbucks and doing the dirty work of shopping. Even days when I run in for ONE thing I leave with more and is it bad I can’t remember a time I spend less than $100 there? Well, that is before I actually started getting down my savings hacks and making sure to use them to save money. I also found a few I didn’t know about! Now I want to share them with you!
27 Ways to Save Money at Target
- Search the End Caps – The ends caps are where you will find clearance, reduced, damaged items. Now I’m not talking about the end caps in the main aisles; those are going to be new and promo items. I’m talking about the ones at the back of the aisles facing the walls, the more ‘hidden’ ones.
- Know Your Mark Down Schedule – While it can vary slightly from store to store here is what the general mark down schedule looks like. Keep in mind it can vary by store and holiday items do not follow this schedule. Target also tends to mark things down in this order, 15, 30, 50, 75, 90%. Also, not all items are marked down every week.
- Monday: Electronics, accessories, kids’ clothing, books, baby, and stationery
- Tuesday: Domestics, women’s clothing, pets, and food items
- Wednesday: Men’s Clothing, Toys, Health and Beauty, and Garden
- Thursday: Housewares, Lingerie, Shoes, Toys, Sporting Goods, Decor, and Luggage
- Friday: Auto, Cosmetics, Hardware, and Jewelry
- Get the Target Red Debit Card – It has, all the same, benefits of their credit card, and it’s just a debit card attached to your current checking account. You get 5% off every purchase, free shipping with no minimums at Target.com and easy returns with no receipt needed for 90 days.
- Print Target Store Coupons – Head to Target.com and print Target store coupons that can be used WITH Manufacture coupons to double your savings!
- Get Free Target Gift Cards – A while back I shared how I earn $210 or more a month in Amazon Gift Cards, many of these sites also give out Target Gift Cards so you can cash in for Target freebies too!
- Mobile Coupons – They normally have some great mobile coupons. Text the word OFFERS to 827438 to get the current coupons. You will get the current set of coupons, normally around 10 of them and they are good for two weeks. These coupons are one-time use (so sign up on your spouses phone too!) They will also have special coupons sets like baby coupons, grilling, home and laundry, cleaning, clothes and more. You will see signs around the store or in the weekly add for special coupons. They also tend to do coupons such as $10 off $50 off your purchases of diapers or even off your whole order.
- Stacking – Stack your coupons. This is where Target is amazing! Here is how to maximize your savings: Total Purchase Coupons + Target Coupons + Cartwheel + Manufacturer Coupons + Gift Cards!
- Cartwheel – Download the Target Cartwheel App and watch it for deals. Things like 5% off milk, eggs, bread, clothes, diapers and just about everything in the store.
- Scan Items with your Cartwheel App – You can scan every item you put in your cart and see if there is a Cartwheel deal associated with it. I didn’t know about this until recently, and I am in love with it!
- Download the Target App – All the mobile coupons are on the mobile app now too!
- Shop the Holiday Sales – Target has amazing holiday clearance. Here is the basic holiday clearance schedule again this can change by store.
- 1 Day after the Holiday: 50% off Goods, 30% off Candy & Food Items
- 3-4 Days after the Holiday: 75% Goods, 50% Candy & Food Items
- 1 Week after the Holiday: 90% off Goods, 75% off Candy & Food Items
- Twice a Year Toy Sale – This is the best time to stock up on toys for birthdays and Christmas. This happens in January, after Christmas to clear the shelves from Christmas inventory. It happens again in July when Target is getting ready for all the new toys for Christmas.
- Buy Discounted Gift Cards – You can buy discounted Gift Cards with Raise.com (sign up with my link and get $5 off your first purchase!). You can buy discounted Target Gift Cards at up to 5% off. There are many gift cards for $5 or less that you can score for FREE with your $5 credit!
- Take Advantage of Gift Card Deals – Target is famous for their buy product X, Y and Z and get a free Target Gift Card. Normally these gift cards are around $5 – $10, but I’ve seen them as high as $25 on everyday items and as high as $200 on big ticket items.
- Grab a Rain Check – Are they out of a sale item you wanted? Grab a rain check for the item and get it later. You will have six weeks to cash in your rain check.
- Use the Target Pharmacy for 5% Off – Switch to the Target Pharmacy and for every five prescriptions, you fill you will get a 5% off you next shopping trip coupon.
- Price Match Online Prices – Target will match competitor’s online prices plus you can use coupons on them and deal stack!
- Get a Refund – If you find a lower price in 7 days Target will refund you the difference! So pay attention to the following weeks ads!
- Start a Registry – If you are having a baby, going to college, or getting married start a registry at Target. They will send you a 15% off you purchase coupon once your date has passed. They are also known for sending out $10 off $50 coupons.
- Bring Your Own Shopping Bags – Target will give you 5¢ off your purchase for every bag you bring in to use.
- Check in on Foursquare – They have also started to advertise deals and specials on Foursquare. You never know what you might find.
- Take Advantage of Target Samples – Watch the Target website for samples and grab your freebies fast! Their beauty bag samples have killer coupons in them!
- Check Your Catalina Coupons – Yes you can score some great coupons from the Catalina Machine. Though I’m partial to the $1 off Starbucks, drink coupons.
- Use the Scanner – Always check items on the scanner many times I have found items that were missed during a markdown!
- Get on the Target Mail List – You can do this by creating a free online account at Target.com they send out coupons books and fliers with some high-value store coupons.
- Look for Repackaged Items – These are items that are usually bought online but returned in store. They can be few and far between but are generally kept in one area of your store.
- Shop the Dollar Spot – You can score some great things at their dollar spot! I have gotten homeschool books and even school supplies for $1 or less each.
Did I miss one? Share it with us below!
I am a Wife, mom to 4 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, Frugalista, Book Worm, and Closet Want-to-be Chef. We are a Roadschool family (homeschooling on the road while traveling fulltime).
I grew up learning ways to save from my mom and grandma. I started my own coupon journey when my first child was born in 2009 and started the blog on 2010 when baby #2 was born to share my tips with everyone who kept asking about how I was getting diapers for $1 a pack!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.