This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
I have a secret on how to save money for you. Did you know there are AT LEAST 34 things you are paying for right now that you should be getting for free? These items are costing you roughly $200 a month or more. What would you do with an extra $200 a month or $2,400 a year? Take a vacation? Pay off debt? Save for a house? Well here is how you can be on your way there!
How to Save Money – 34 Things You Should be Getting Free
1. Movie Rentals – Sign up for Redbox emails and text alerts. They always are sending out codes for a free one-night rental as long as you turn it in within 24 hours you can get it for free. If you have an Amazon Prime account to take advantage of the Amazon Prime Video. You can get access to hundreds of free movies and TV shows. You can also get movie credits to buy movies if you choose shipping that takes a little bit longer than the average two days that comes with your account. You can get a $1 credit for each shipment. You can also earn free Amazon Gift Cards and use them to buy movies and TV shows.
2. Kids Clothes – I always get my kids free and in many cases make money from them! Read my post on how I get my kid's clothes free and then see how they I have made money getting clothes for my kids.
3. Most Office Supplies (especially printer paper!) – Shop for office supplies during back to school season and get them with easy rebates at Staples, Office Depot, and Office Max. Staples is famous for doing rebates on reams of printer paper and pens for free after rebates. They do them on cases of printer paper too! Last time we moved, I had 6 cases of printer paper in the garage I got free!
4. Toothbrushes and Toothpaste – I don't play the drug store game like I used too, but I still watch for the free after rewards items and pick them up. Mostly this is toothbrushes and toothpaste; it's been over 5 years since I spent money either of these.
5. Phone Apps – You can get free phone apps from Amazon (click the top 100 free link). These apps are for Andriod devices. If you use iTunes like I do check out how I earn $210+ a month in Amazon Gift Cards, many places allow you to get iTunes Gift Cards as well.
6. Books – I use Paperback Swap and trade my paperback (and hardcover). I list my books when someone requests a book I mail it via media mail and get a credit I use that credit to get a new book. I also get Kindle books with free Amazon Gift Cards and the media credit for choosing no rush shipping I mentioned above.
7. Paper Towels – Really why use something that you keep buying and throwing away? Cut up some old towels and shirts and use them as rags.
8. Budgeting Software – You don't need to spend money on some of the expensive software to help you budget. Use Mint.com it's free and easy to use!
9. Cable TV – You can watch most shows you can watch the next day on the channels website. You can also watch shows on Hulu with a free trial and even earn some free Hulu Gift Cards from InstaGC or Prize Rebel.
10. DVDs – Remember your local library has a huge selection of DVD to rent out free, swap with friends and then make sure to check out Swap a DVD. It works just like Paperback Swap above.
11. Gas – You should be shopping at a grocery store that gives your free cents off a gallon of gas with every purchase. Consider buying gas gift cards to get to your free tank even faster.
12. Shampoo and Conditioner – There are so many free samples to request each month that can equal 1/4 to 1/2 a bottle! Plus playing the drug store game with sales and coupon your should be getting them free if not making money on these two items.
13. Shave Lotion – Men, I get that you need shave cream, my husband using an extra gentle one but ladies on our legs? Why waste the money? Use the conditioner you get above to shave your legs it works better than any shave gel I have tried plus it conditions like a lotion!
14. Baby Carrier – This and the freebies below are perfect for new moms. When buying a baby carrier for your baby why pay for it when you get on from Seven Slings Free? Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free baby carrier.
15. Nursing Cover – If you are breastfeeding and looking for a nursing cover while out in public grab one free! I loved how light this fabric was! Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free nursing cover.
16. Breast Pads – Get 5 pairs of washable breast pads for free! These are great when breastfeeding. Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free breast pads.
17. Nursing Pillow – Nursing pillows have many uses and have been a life saver with my kids! Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free breast pads.
18. Baby Leggings – Baby Leggings are the new trend and are so cute with any outfit! Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your baby leggings.
19. Carseat Cover – Car seat covers are the perfect to get your child a little privacy when napping and keeping germs at bay when you are out and about. Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free car seat cover.
20. Pregnancy Band – Pregnancy Bands are great to make your pre-pregnancy clothes last longer! But you normally don't wear them more than a month or so, why pay for them? Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free pregnancy band.
21. Diaper Covers/Bloomers – Looking for a cute way to cover your babies diapers? Check out these baby bloomers and get yours free! Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free diaper covers.
22. Baby Books – Books are great things for kids, but they can be hard on them. Baby books are great and more sturdy, but we have gone through many of them. So why pay for them? Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free baby books.
23. Baby Hats – Why pay for hats for baby when they grow so dang fast?! Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free baby books.
24. Pregnancy Pillow – Let me tell you I wouldn't have survived pregnancy without my pregnancy pillow! Use coupon code FRUGALNAVYWIFE1 to get your free pregnancy pillow.
25. Amazon Gift Cards – Yes you can earn free Amazon Gift Cards. I shared my list of 45 places I use to earn Amazon Gift Cards and then I showed you how to take those sites and earn $210 or more a month.
26. Fruits and Veggies – If you have ANY amount of room in your backyard you should be growing some fruit and vegetables. For limited spaces, I would grow items you use most for our family it would be potatoes, corn, and carrots and even tomatoes. You don't even need a backyard space to grow tomatoes with an upside down tomato grower. This will help you make your own, ketchup and pasta sauce free!
27. Herbs – Like above if you have any backyard space grow some fo the herbs you used most such as parsley, oregano, and thyme. Even if you don't have backyard space they have amazing indoor herb gardens.
28. Home Cleaning Items, Diapers, & Wipes – Grab your freebie packs from The Honest Company, you get free diapers, wipes, shampoo, lotion, diaper rash cream, hand soap, and multi-surface cleaner. You just pay for shipping.
29. Baby Formula – That's right you can get a good amount fo your baby formula for free. Sign up (for free!) For Enfamil Beginnings and they will send you checks (to use like coupons) for formula many for free cans other will give you 50% off.
30. Photo Canvas – I love photo canvases they are perfect for decorating your house! You can get an 8×10 free when you sign up for Everyday Family.
31. Homeschool Printables – Using sites like Educents you can print out tons of free printables each week. I like Educents because you can get them free and they save to your account for when you are ready. Another good site for free homeschool printables is Currclick; both sites also offer a ton of great printables for purchase on any subject.
33. Your Credit Score – Using sites like Credit Sesame you can get your credit score free, why pay to find out what it is?
34. Shipping on Amazon – Using Amazon Prime you can get free shipping on almost anything on Amazon. Yes, you have to buy Prime each year, but you do get 30 days free, and I save money with prime with-in the first 3 months of my subscription. If you are a Prime member, you get free shipping, free movies and TV shows, free music, and lots of other great freebies!
Did I miss anything that should be on this list?
I am a mom to 5 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, Frugalista, Book Worm, and Closet Want-to-be Chef. We are a Roadschool family (homeschooling on the road while traveling fulltime).
I grew up learning ways to save from my mom and grandma. I started my own coupon journey when my first child was born in 2009 and started the blog on 2010 when baby #2 was born to share my tips with everyone who kept asking about how I was getting diapers for $1 a pack!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.