This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Pros and Cons of Shopping Daily Deal Sites
Sites like Living Social, Groupon, Hautelook, Zulily and Amazon Local are known for offering daily deals. You can find some amazing deals at a fraction of what they normal cost. However, there are some pros and cons associated with shopping daily deals.
I shop daily deals fairly often and I've put together a list of pros and cons.
I have found so many great things about shopping daily deals. I put together a list of all the reasons why I think everyone should take advantage of daily deals.
- Shopping the daily deals is a great way to score a last-minute vacation at a significant price reduction. Travel Zoo and Groupon are great places to watch closely for travel discounts.
- Ever thought about making a profit off of daily deals? Some daily deals have prices so low you just can't pass them up. If possible pick up a few extra items and resale them at a profit. This gives you a chance to make a little extra money!
- Some sites like Living Social try to encourage their customers to promote their daily deals. If you share the daily deal with your friends and family you can get your deal free if you get 3 people to purchase the deal.
- Groupon is a great way to find discounts on family activities. State fairs, bowling alley's, laser tag and amusement parks are just a few of the things you can find heavily discounted.
- Want to plan a date night for you and your sweetie? Checking out the daily deals might score you a romantic dinner for a fraction of the costs. If eating out isn't usually in your budget this is the perfect way to enjoy a night on the town.
- Daily deals can help you score items from brand that don't typically offer coupons. Sometimes you will find these items for 50% less than their retail value! Diamond Candles is one of my favorite items to score on a Daily Deal. With that said there are so many fabulous items you can grab and save for birthdays and Christmas.
- Looking for a gift card or gift certificate? Daily deals is a great place to start stocking up on gift cards and gift certificates. Use these gift cards to give to people at Christmas or use them to get your holiday shopping done.
While there are plenty of pros to shopping daily deals, there are also some cons. Make sure to take these into consideration before you purchase a daily deal!
- Some deals do not offer the option of a refund. This can pose a problem if you purchase an item and it doesn't work. I haven't heard about this being an issue but I'm sure it could happen. If you purchase travel through a daily deal then make sure you are 100% sure you are going to be able to travel during the dates listed. Read the fine print for any travel dates that are restricted.
- Some of the really hot deals are limited to one per customer. This can really be a bummer if you are trying to purchase more than one.
- Take a few minutes to make sure you are really getting a good deal. I recently purchased a daily deal only to find out I could have bought the same item on Amazon for $5 less with free shipping! It will only take you a few minutes to do a quick Amazon search or Google search to ensure you are getting a great deal.
- Night time deals are getting more popular which can mean you miss out on a deal if your already sleeping.
- Daily deals can sometimes cause you to spend money that you don't need to spend. We often get caught up in grabbing every “great deal” which isn't necessary. If you don't need an item don't purchase it! The point of shopping a daily deal is to save money on items you need.