This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Honey is natural and fantastic source from nature. There are many unexpected benefits of honey. I was on the hunt for natural ways to help my morning sickness with baby #4 and was told about honey and ginger and oh my did they work well! While searching, I saw many other ways honey can be used! I already knew it helped with sore throats but that it can help you get to sleep or give you an energy boost during a workout it is amazing!
17 Unexpected Benefits of Honey
Note: Make sure you pick up raw honey, it can also be called unpasteurized. It is healthier and works better than the processed stuff. I also suggest finding local honey. Found at many farmers markets or produce stands. This will help with allergies as mentioned below along with other problems that might be local to you.
- Help with Indigestion – Taking a tablespoon or two will settle your stomach and it won't ferment and cause more trouble.
- Relieve Nausea – You can use honey with ginger ale to help relieve nausea or morning sickness.
- Wound Care – Use as a topical wound care, it can help quicken healing time for injuries such as rashes, burns, and skin abrasions.
- Cure Acne – It's a natural face cleaner and is known to help cure acne, and works on all skin types even sensitive skin. Use about half a teaspoon and warm it in your hands then spread on your face like soap, rubbing in circular motions. Let sit for about 10 minutes then rinse with warm water and dry.
- Relieve Sore Throat – There is a reason your mom would make you warm tea with honey when you had a sore throat, it can help it feel better. You can also mix with lemon or peppermint essential oils as well.
- Sugar Substitute – Use raw honey as a substitute for white sugar and it will help you lose weight.
- Energy Boost – Take a tablespoon of honey before a workout, it has been known to boost athletic performance.
- Moisturizer – Use a spoonful of honey and mix with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice to make an ultra moisturizing lotion.
- Cure Dry Elbows – Rub some honey on your dry elbows and it will help soften your skin.
- Lip Balm – Use honey to a make a natural lip balm. You will need honey, beeswax, and a few other oils.
- Hair Mask – This will help lock in moisture and shine in your hair use one teaspoon of honey to 5 cups of warm water the rinse and style like normal.
- Balance Your Blood Sugar – Using honey over store bought sweeteners has been shown to help control your blood sugar more effectively than some medications used for diabetes!
- Cure a Hangover – Honey will help speed up your metabolism and help your body process the alcohol faster.
- Cough Syrup – Use honey to make a cough syrup instead of taking the store bought ones. Wellness Mama has a great one.
- Reduce Seasonally Allergies – Use local raw honey and take a tablespoon or so a day. The local pollen in the honey helps build your body's immunity to the pollen which will lessen your allergies during pollen season.
- Moisturize Your Skin – Add a tablespoon of honey to your hot bath to help moisturize your skin while you bathe!
- Help Get to Sleep – Use a tablespoon of honey at night to help get to bed! Honey has been known to help absorb the compound tryptophan, which makes us sleepy!
What do you use honey for?
- Top 21 Gift Ideas for Crafters They Will Love! - November 8, 2020
- 21 Amazingly Perfect Gift Ideas for a Newborn Baby - November 7, 2020
- 20 of the Most Awesome Best Friend Gifts Amazon Has - November 4, 2020