This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Maybe you just found out friends or relatives are expecting and you want to get on top of the baby shower gift right away. Early bird gets the worm! Or maybe you first heard they were expecting nine months ago, the shower’s tomorrow, and you haven’t given the gift a moment’s thought until now. Still time! Or, maybe they delivered yesterday, and now you’re really in a fix because you still haven’t bought them a gift. Hey, better late than never! Right?
7 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for New Parents
Whether you’re well ahead of the game, barely going to make it on time, or trying to play catch up, we’re here to help. We put together a list of our favorite gift ideas for new parents. Read on and we’re certain you’ll find a gift that’s right for this special occasion.
- Babysitting coupons. If thoughtfulness is what counts above all else (and if you’re on a tight budget), you can offer your babysitting services in the form of redeemable coupons. The new parents likely won’t be ready to hand off the baby to anyone else right away, but when they are ready, they’ll appreciate knowing they can step away for a quiet meal, a movie, or just to do some grocery shopping while the baby is watched over by someone they trust.
- Meal coupons. Yes, we like the whole coupon thing (and yes, we know it’s kind of cheesy, but in a cute way!) Like the babysitting coupons, this shows thoughtfulness and helps with a tight budget. The idea is simple: you offer to cook dinner for them and bring it over to their place. Include as many coupons as you’re comfortable with, though less than three might seem a bit stingy.
- Personalized gifts. That’s right. Personalize it! There’s really no end to the wonderful gifts you can have personalized for the new little one. Blankets, quilts, burp cloths, picture frames, play mats, towels, bathrobes, and on and on we could go. Having a child’s name embroidered or engraved onto some functional or decorative item can be a nice and thoughtful touch. The parents will love it, and some items will become keepsakes that will be enjoyed for years to come.
- Membership to Amazon Mom. Diapers and wipes (and all the rest) aren’t cheap, and any discount helps. That’s where Amazon Mom comes in. With a purchased membership, the parents will receive discounted prices on baby essentials, not to mention free two-day shipping. As an added bonus, members also get access to Amazon Prime Video streaming service. Not bad, huh?
- House cleaning service. There’s just something oppressive about a messy house, especially when life is so hectic that you can’t find time to clean it yourself. Those first few months with a new baby can often feel like that, and the mess often grows and grows. So, purchase those new parents a gift certificate for a cleaning service. Buy as many cleaning sessions as you feel comfortable paying for. Even a single session will come as a relief and a blessing to those frazzled parents.
- A jogging stroller. This one goes over best with parents who are already runners or otherwise interested in fitness. If that’s them, great. They’ll love the opportunity to get out and exercise away all those stress hormones that come with parenting a newborn. However, if fitness isn’t their thing, a jogging stroller can seem, at best, a wasted gift destined to collect dust in the garage and, at worst, an offensive suggestion to the new mother than she needs to drop a few pounds. Tread lightly with this one!
- Baby carrier. Newborns want and need to be held. A lot. It’s part of feeling safe in the big bad world, as well as forming a trusting bond with its parents. That’s all well and good, of course, but it also means that parents often have their hands full with a child when they need or want to get something done around the house. That’s where a baby carrier comes in. By holding the baby close to mom or dad’s body, it allows for that safety and intimacy while also freeing up the parent’s hands to get a thing or two done. There are many solutions from various types of wraps to straps and harnesses. Research a bit, and pick the one that seems best-suited for the parents.
There you have it. Seven thoughtful gift ideas for new parents. Whether you’re on a tight budget or have money to burn, there’s something considerate here you can offer the new parents in your life.
I am a Wife, mom to 4 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, Frugalista, Book Worm, and Closet Want-to-be Chef. We are a Roadschool family (homeschooling on the road while traveling fulltime).
I grew up learning ways to save from my mom and grandma. I started my own coupon journey when my first child was born in 2009 and started the blog on 2010 when baby #2 was born to share my tips with everyone who kept asking about how I was getting diapers for $1 a pack!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.
Latest posts by Danielle, The Frugal Navy Wife (see all)
- Cruise Cheap – How to Take a Cruise on a Budget - April 17, 2019
- Every Hero Sweats with Gillette & Operation Homefront - March 8, 2019
- Lesson Plans for Farmer Boy By Laura Ingalls Wilder - February 26, 2019