This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Are you ready for your high school grad to move into their new dorm room? Most likely you are saying no because you aren’t ready for your child to leave. If this is your first one to leave the nest it can be very overwhelming trying to figure out what college dorm room essentials you need and ways to save money on them!
9 Ways to Save Money Furnishing a College Dorm Room Essentials
This is an excellent time for both you and your child’s life, but it can also be a pretty pricey time if you aren’t careful! Here are a few ways to save money on furnishing a college dorm:
- Go trash digging. This sounds a little adventurous, right?! Seriously, you would be surprised how many people just throw things out. Look at apartment complexes, in store trash bins, and alongside streets for unwanted gems. The best way to do this is to find out when trash day is a drive the streets to see what people have set at the curb. I have found excellent dressers this way and even a full-length mirror!
- Use slip covers. Buy items that don’t match. You can usually get good deals when something is not able to be sold with the matching piece. Instead of worrying about matching items, use slip covers to make them match.
- Ask for freebies. Technology has taken over the world in a hurry, but it is an excellent way to ask for anything and everything. Put up a Craigslist listing or an FB thread letting others know what you are looking for and ask that it be free. Freecycle is another great way to find some freebies.
- Hit last minute garage sales. You may think the season for garage sales has passed, but check out your local newspaper for some end of the season sales. You will be surprised to find many garage sales are still happening in your area. Also, check out Estate Sales, these are like a garage sale, but they are selling pretty much everything in the house because a family member has passed or is moving into an assisted living home.
- Shop online garage sales sites. Facebook is an endless supply of information. Look for online garage sale groups in your area. A quick Facebook search “XX online garage sale” can make shopping for inexpensive furnishings fun and easy. Listia is another online garage sale. You but items with points you get for listing stuff you don’t need or more or buying. (tip I got my point by selling a few Amazon eGift Cards)
- Head into the thrift shops. Goodwill and other thrift stores are heavenly for finding dorm furnishings at next to nothing. Visit thrift stores during sales, 50% off days, and promotional offers. Some stores like Goodwill even offer coupons when you donate old things. Take advantage of it. Don’t be afraid to ask for discounts such as a military discount, student discount, or even take grandma shopping for the senior discount! Don’t forget to pick up these thrift stores finds worth money you can sell to pay for your dorm room furnishings.
- Don’t forget about friends and family. We often forget to ask those closest to us when we need something. Grandmothers, aunts, uncles, and close friends may be looking to get rid of that desk in their family room. You never know if you don’t ask.At the very least can spare a few smaller items to help out.
- Look for a sale Don’t just head into the first store you find. Look in ads for sales, get coupons, or find promo codes to get discounts on carpets, couches, and more. Target is known for their college dorm room sales at the end of July beginning of August. If you are shopping online, don’t forget to use Ebates for cash back!
- Get free gift cards. I love using sites like Swagbucks to get free gift cards. You can cash in for Amazon Gift Cards (just like you can at these 45 others sites) or even Walmart and Target to get items for your dorm. Don’t forget to check out how I use these sites to earn $210+ a month is gift cards!
A dorm just isn’t complete with a little homey touch. However, furnishing a dorm doesn’t have to be expensive. What other ways have you found to save on furnishing a dorm? Let us know in the comments below!
- Top 20 Items For Minecraft Gifts - August 19, 2020
- Easy DIY Flintstones Costumes – Fred and Wilma Costume - August 17, 2020
- 38 of the Best Barbie Gift Ideas Your Little Girl Will LOVE! - August 12, 2020