This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
DIY Fall Spice Play Dough
I love using play dough during homeschool, it's great for fine motor skills and really what kid doesn't like to play with play dough?! Well I'll tell you who, my 2 year old! Go figure but my older 2 LOVE it! I prefer to make my own and I love to make it themed to the season or what we are studying. Each fall we love making this fall spice play dough in fall colors!
1 cup of all purpose flour
¼ cup of salt
1 ½ tablespoons of cream of tartar
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 cup of boiling water
Red, yellow, and blue food coloring
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
1. Begin by heating your water to a boil. 3 minutes in the microwave will typically do the trick.
2. Combine all ingredients EXCEPT for the food coloring into a bowl. Mix well until a paste forms. Add an additional half teaspoon of flour at a time until the mixture is of play dough consistency and no longer sticky.
3. Break the play dough up into 4 pieces. You can now prepare to dye them.
4. Add a few drops of yellow to one piece and knead well to create yellow, then add a few drops of red to a second piece and knead well to make red. You can add a drop of yellow and a drop of red to a piece and knead to make orange. Adding a drop of red, yellow, and two drops a blue will create a tan or brown.
Once your dough is kneaded well and the colors are created to your liking, you can enjoy your play dough. To store it, simply keep it in an air tight container or plastic bag.
I am a mom to 5 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, Frugalista, Book Worm, and Closet Want-to-be Chef. We are a Roadschool family (homeschooling on the road while traveling fulltime).
I grew up learning ways to save from my mom and grandma. I started my own coupon journey when my first child was born in 2009 and started the blog on 2010 when baby #2 was born to share my tips with everyone who kept asking about how I was getting diapers for $1 a pack!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.
Latest posts by Danielle, The Frugal Navy Wife (see all)
- 12 Summer Fun On a Budget Ideas - August 5, 2019
- 12 Mind Blowing Tips on How to Make Money at Flea Markets - July 31, 2019
- 10 Amazingly Cheap Bread Dinner Ideas – Meals with Bread - July 29, 2019