This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
DIY Laundry Soap
With the new year and my Budget Challenge in full swing, I am looking for ways to save money, while we still have some laundry soap on the self I don't plan on buying any more. I will be making it! This recipe has been used by every from the Duggars to many other bloggers who do DIY laundry soap! Amazon does sell a Laundry Soap Kit with these ingredients and I have priced it out it is cheaper to buy them separately by about $10!!
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with the 4 cups of water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
- Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
- Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
- Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
- Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
Related: 13 Uses for Zote Soap
How to Use
- Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
- Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
- Works well in traditional or HE machines.
- Low sudsing. It is the ingredients in the soap, not the suds, that does the cleaning.
- Clumping and gelling of the detergent is normal. Stir before putting in dispenser, and shake before each use.