This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Patriotic Summertime Cherry Jello Poke Cake
With summer comes BBQs (one of my favorite things!) and I’m always looking for great easy items to bring along with me! This Patriotic Summertime Cherry Jello Poke Cake is so easy and always gets rave reviews. My kids love poking the holes and it’s a great way to involved in cooking.
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- eggs, water, oil for cake as directed on the box
- 1 pack cherry Jello
Ingredients for Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 – 4 cups powder sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Prepare boxed cake mix according to directions.
- Once baked and cooled slightly, poke holes into cake. I have used several things to do this but many times it’s a handle of some kind of utensil like a wooden spoon handle.
- Prepare Jello according to package then pour Jello onto the cake, making sure to pour directly into the holes and cover entire cake.
- Set in the fridge for at least a few hours but overnight prefered.
- Prepare frosting and frost cake before serving.
- Place butter in a bowl. Cream the butter until it is smooth and has lightened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add powder sugar, ½ a cup at a time.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt and combine well
- Add milk until the frosting has reached the preferred consistency. This is different for everyone.