This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Growing up one of the desserts I remember from my mom’s family is this homemade key lime pie. My grandfather was in the Navy (because ya know it runs in the family!) and his last duty station was Key West. They retired there and my mom and her brother grew up there so of course, she was able to perfect her key lime pie recipe in the home of all things key limes!
How to Make Homemade Key Lime Pie – Super Easy Recipe!
We have since visited Key West several times and while there are some good recipes out there I think my moms is the best, you can’t beat homemade. You really just can’t!
I’ve tried so many key lime pies on my trips to Key West even award winners and I admit they are pretty good but there is just something comforting about a family recipe!
Add in the fact that this recipe is super easy to make it’s a great recipe to impress anyone at any get-together. Potlucks, BBQ dinners, and church functions you will be the star of the show with this homemade key lime pie!
Now you can use a pre-made crust that you buy in-store but trust me taking the extra step to make your own crust makes all the difference. The same goes for the whipped cream, you will never buy whipped cream again after you make your own it’s only 2 ingredients and a few minutes!
What is the difference between a lime and a key lime?
Key limes are smaller and more yellow then the limes you are used to. Key lime juice is also more aromatic and intense.
Can you substitute lime for key lime?
Yes, but you want to do half lime juice and half lemon juice. So this recipe calls for 2/3 cup key lime juice. You would want to do 1/3 cup lime juice and 1/3 cup key lime juice.
Where are key limes grown?
They have been known to grow in southern California and Southern Texas
Here is what you need for my homemade key lime pie!
How to Make Homemade Key Lime Pie
1/3 lb crushed Graham Crackers
5 tbsp melted Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
3 Egg Yolks
2 tsp Lime Zest
14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
2/3 cup Key Lime Juice (Or sub 1/3 cup lime juice and 1/3 cup lemon juice)
1 cup Heavy Cream (you can use this heavy cream substitute if needed)
1 tbsp Sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
Butter a 9″ pie pan.
Process graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar in a food processor until combined.
Press mixture into the bottom and sides of the prepared pan.
Bake 8 minutes or until set.
Set aside to cool.
Whip egg yolks and lime zest until fluffy.
Slowly add in condensed milk while continuing to beat.
Beat until thick and fully incorporated.
Add lime juice and beat at low speed just until combined.
Pour into crust.
Bake for 10 minutes or until filling sets.
Cool on wire rack.
Refrigerate for several hours.
Freeze for 15 minutes before serving.
Whip cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
Garnish pie with whipped cream before serving.
Do you have your own homemade Key Lime Pie recipe? I’d love to know what you do different!
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Lime Zest
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 cup Lime Juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 9" pie pan.
- Process graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar in food processor until combined.
- Press mixture into bottom and sides of prepared pan.
- Bake 8 minutes or until set.
- Set aside to cool.
- Whip egg yolks and lime zest until fluffy.
- Slowly add in condensed milk while continuing to beat.
- Beat until thick and fully incorporated.
- Add lime juice and beat at low speed just until combined.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until filling sets.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Freeze for 15 minutes before serving.
- Whip cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish pie with whipped cream before serving.
- Top 20 Items For Minecraft Gifts - August 19, 2020
- Easy DIY Flintstones Costumes – Fred and Wilma Costume - August 17, 2020
- 38 of the Best Barbie Gift Ideas Your Little Girl Will LOVE! - August 12, 2020