This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
I Lost My Job…Now What?
In today’s day and age, not having a job can be a death sentence for a family. Stress levels immediately jump, worries increase and yes, if not handled correctly, it can tear a family apart. It doesn’t have to be that way though if you’re careful. There are several things you can do to protect yourself and your family in case you lose yours.
Lock up your wallets –
As soon as you lose your job, all…and I mean all…unnecessary spending has to stop. If you’re not going to have an income coming in, you can’t afford (literally) to be sending the cash you have out. For now, you will need to only spend money on your necessary expenses like rent, utilities, food and transportation.
Apply for assistance –
As much as some of us hate the idea of being on assistance, sometimes it’s necessary. As soon as possible, apply for unemployment, food stamps and whatever else you may qualify for. This is not the time to be prideful. Pride will not feed your kids.
Update your resume –
If you’ve been at the same job for a year or more, updating your resume is a must before you start hunting for a new job. Make sure that your resume is both professional looking and personal as well as printed on high quality resume paper. If you are a veteran you can get a free professional resume from Jobless Warrior.
Don’t give up –
Being without a steady income is hard, but doing it with a family can be even harder. At some point, you’re likely to feel depressed and want to give up or to just run away. Instead of giving up, give your family a hug and keep pressing on. You will get on your feet again…you just have to keep on keeping on.
Here are some posts on saving money that will help you cut costs.
- Check out Thrifty Thursday for great Money Saving Tips.
- 3 Ways to Save Big at the Gas Pump
- 3 Ways to Save Big on Laundry
- 10 Things Thrifty People Re-Use to Save Money
- DIY Laundry Soap
- Why Paying for Your Bills Late is Breaking Your Budget
- 30 Ways to Save You’re Probably Over Looking
- How I Save Money On Kids Clothes Part 1
- How I Save Money on Kids Clothes Part 2
- 50 Ways to Saving on Your Water Bill
Saving Money on Groceries
- How Knowing Your Grocery Store Layout Can Save Your Money
- 12 Apps That Make You Money on Your Grocery Trips!
- How I Feed My Family of 4 for Under $400 a Month WITHOUT Clipping Coupons
- Stretching Your Meals – 16 Meals for $25
- 5 Best Apps For Saving on Groceries
- How to Start Couponing
Ways to MAKE some extra Money
- 45 Ways to Earn Amazon Gift Cards
- 10 Unique Way to Earn Extra Cash
- 52 Ways to Earn Money for a Free Christmas