This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Looking for a kid-friendly mocktail that's perfect for summertime? Look no further than this Shirley Temple recipe! Made with lemon-lime soda and grenadine, this refreshing drink is sure to be a hit for both kids and adults.
Simply combine the soda and grenadine in a glass, then add a cherry or two for garnish. If you're feeling extra festive, you can even add a little umbrella! Whether you're hosting a backyard barbecue or just enjoying a warm day on the patio, this mocktail is sure to please. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!
Is grenadine non-alcoholic?
Yes. Grenadine is a fruit syrup that's used to sweeten and color mixed drinks, like the Shirley Temple. It can be found in most grocery stores with other syrups like simple syrup.
Related: Watermelon Drinks Recipes
Is a Shirley temple a girly drink?
The Shirley temple drink is often something children remember ordering when they were younger. The adults would often request an alcoholic beverage during mealtime while dining out, but they allowed their kids to order an old Shirley temple as a special treat.
Related: Stars and Stripes Mocktail Recipe
What kinds of fruit can go in a Shirley temple?
Shirley Temple drinks can sometimes have orange juice. However, if you like some extra fruitiness, you can add in orange juice, cranberry juice, or grapefruit juice, if you prefer. The grenadine used in a Shirley temple drink is also red and has a fruity taste, so it can work with almost any fruit flavor. However, the most popular fruits in connection with a Shirley temple are cherries and limes.
Related: Copycat Orange Julius Recipe
Shirley Temple Ingredients
Related: 35 Refreshing Lemonade Recipes
How to make this Shirley Temple Mocktail:
Fill your cup with ice (if desired, this is a preference).
Related: Grimace Shake Recipe
Lightly stir, top with the cherry, and enjoy!
Related: Island Pineapple Drink Recipe
- For an extra addition to flavor and for another garnish, you can add a lemon slice.
- You can swap out half of the lemon-lime soda for ginger ale, for another variation.
- If you would like to see the grenadine sit down in more of its own layer, for presentation sake, you’ll want to slightly tilt the glass and pour it down the side. You’ll want to stir it before drinking though. If not, you’ll basically be drinking lemon lime soda, or sucking up all grenadine, if using a straw. Ew, not fun.
- To make this a dirty Shirley, take away an ounce of the soda and replace it with an ounce of vodka.
- 8 Ounces Lemon Lime Soda
- 1 Ounce Grenadine
- 1 Maraschino Cherries
- Ice (optional)
- Fill your cup with ice (if desired, this is a preference).
- Pour in the lemon lime soda and chase it with the grenadine.
- Lightly stir, top with the cherry, and enjoy!
So, if you're looking for an easy and delicious virgin drink to make at home, give an old Shirley Temple a try. It’s one of the most iconic mocktails, which only matches the person and legacy it was named after. It’s hard not to fall in love with it.