So this past weekend we went and visited Conklin Farms. They are a Certified Organic Farm in Central, Pa. The kids had a BLAST! We got to pet their baby chickens, feed the older ones and the kids learned so much about the veggies they had growing and got to see them in action!
While they we got some kale and this recipe immediately popped into my head. My oldest daughter had 3 helpings my other two, who are very texture oriented, said it was good finished their first helping and asked for a sandwich. *sigh* such is my life! Of course the baby will have to wait a year or two to try it out and give me her opinion but she liked the sweet potatoes!
This recipe is a favorite of mine because it's a one pot meal. Everything is cooked in the same pan and that means less clean up! This meal is healthy and yummy and It is also Gluten Free and a great meal if you are on the Paleo Diet as well!
Shrimp with Sweet Potato and Kale Skillet
Here is what you need
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 cups deveined and peeled shrimp
- 3 cups chopped kale leaves
- Ground black pepper
Simple and easy here is the prep work you will need to do so you can cook as you go all in one pot. Also I had hubby helping me so sorry about the 2 different cutting boards!
Chop onions and peel garlic.
Peel sweet potatoes and cut into bite size cubes.
Take your Kale leaves wash them and and de-vein them (see below) Then chop them up. I rolled a bunch together and just did a rough chop on them.
Peel and devein shrimp (or just buy it already done 😉 )
- In a saucepan, add the olive oil over medium heat. Then add the onions and cook until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add in the sweet potato and cook until soft. Depending on the sizes you cut will take about 10 -15 minutes. I like to add a few tablespoons of water to the pan then cover it to help steam the sweet potatoes
- Next add in the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes, until they turn pink.
- Turn the heat to low and add kale, stirring until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This meal is great as it is, you can add rice or bread as a side as well! YUM!
Leave a Reply