This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
There are so many ways to save at Walmart from the normal ones I'm sure you have heard of to the ones you might not know about! Don't walk into the store blind make the most of every penny with these 16 ways to save!
16 Ways to Save at Walmart
By not most of us know the basics on saving money at Walmart so I want to go over them just to make sure you aren't missing any and so we are all the same page.
- Price Match – This is one of the biggest draws to Walmart is that they price match. Make sure to read their currently policy. They will match prices to any of your local stores as long as it meet their guidelines. This saves you from having to hit up a bunch of different store for the loss leaders, it will also save you on gas. (I have heard they are starting to do away with this. Some stores still allow it other don't so it doesn't hurt to ask!)
- Use Saving Catcher – We have all heard of this app. You download it and submit your receipt after you shop and it will compare what you paid to other local prices and if they find a lower price you get the difference back.
- Use Coupons – This one is a bit of a duh one, of course to save money use coupons at Walmart! Get printable coupons from sites like Coupons.com, Smart Source, Hopster and Red Plum. Also see how to score $1500 in printable coupons.
- Cash in on Rebates – Sites like Ibotta (use my link and get $10 when you redeem your first rebate) and CheckOut 51 to get rebates on your purchases after you get home!
- Check Ends Caps for Clearance – Always look for clearance items. You can match these with coupon
Now here are your not so common was to save!
- Shop Online – Shopping for items online has a few benefits. They do special online sales and you can use coupon codes you can't use in store. Then use instore pick up for free shipping!
- Grab Online Samples – Walmart is famous for their online samples and a little-known fact they come with some killer high-value coupons as well! Check back every few day as they are always adding new ones and rare and hot ones go fast!
- Fuel Savings – If you have a Walmart gas station near you can save on gas by buying one of their gift cards then use it at the gas pump to get 3¢ off per gallon.
- Download the Walmart App – This app allows you to do several things, frist you can make shopping list of what you need. You can also price check items ad get the Walmart weekly sales ad. Plus they have a ‘savings showcase' where you can see items on sale or rollback.
- Shop In-Store Events – These events always offer samples, coupons, and great deals on trying the products. I have seen them offer a gift card to the first so many people who visit the booth that day as well!
- Take Advantage of Coupon Overage – Walmart is one of the few store that allows coupon overage. What this means is if the item is $1.50 and you have a $2 coupon, most store would adjust the coupon down to $1.50 BUT Walmart allows you to take the whole $2 off so you can use that 50¢ toward other items in your cart or get cash back.
- Shop Early – This is a hug secret! Walmart stock their stores overnight when it's quite so hot deals will be in stock and meat gets marked down first thing in the morning. Same with the bakery markdowns are done first thing in the morning as well. This is the best way to score great bread and meat deals.
- Grab Store Brands – Did you know that most store brands are made by the same companies that make the name brands? They make their quota they switch labels to the store brand so they don't lose time. So you get the same product for a lot less. While you can't use coupons on the store brands I have seen a savings of $5 or more on some items!
- Don't Do All Your Shopping There – That's right not every deal there is a great deal so don't do all your shopping there and make sure you grab the loss leaders, like meat, that Walmart won't price match elsewhere.
- Watch Social Media – Watch their social media channels for special deals, roll back, clearance noticed and more!
- Ask for Price Adjustments After You Shop – Did you just shop and then a few days later see the item you just bought go on sale or worse on clearance? You can go to customer service and ask for a price adjustment.
Do you have any secrets to saving money at Walmart?
I am a mom to 5 kids, homeschool mom, blogger, social media junkie, Frugalista, Book Worm, and Closet Want-to-be Chef. We are a Roadschool family (homeschooling on the road while traveling fulltime).
I grew up learning ways to save from my mom and grandma. I started my own coupon journey when my first child was born in 2009 and started the blog on 2010 when baby #2 was born to share my tips with everyone who kept asking about how I was getting diapers for $1 a pack!
Click here to learn more about starting a blog.