This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
When you’re feeling under the weather, a soothing chest rub can open your airways and leave you feeling a bit better. Learn how to make your own with this simple DIY Vapor Chest Rub recipe.
When you were sick as a child, did your parents often use vapor rub on your body to try to make you feel better? If it’s something you’ve grown accustomed to using, you can learn how to make it yourself. Follow this simple recipe for DIY Vapor Chest Rub consisting of a blend of essential oils. It’s good for the skin and smells fantastic.
What You’ll Need to Make the Vapor Chest Rub
Make the perfect DIY Vapor Chest Rub using these important components:
- Coconut Oil. This oil is the perfect carrier oil when using other essential oils. It leaves a great scent and has moisturizing properties.
- Olive Oil. You’ll use olive oil in this homemade chest rub for additional healing and moisturizing benefits.
- Grated Beeswax. The beeswax gives this chest rub the perfect texture for spreading it over the body. If you don’t have grated beeswax, you can use soy wax.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil. This oil is one of the most important ingredients because it’s known to reduce symptoms of the cold and flu, relieve pain, and keep skin hydrated.
You’ll also need peppermint essential oil and frankincense essential oil, both of which provide healing properties.
How Can I Melt the Coconut Oil?
You have two options when melting the coconut oil to create the chest rub. You can melt it in a glass bowl using a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, don’t worry. You can always melt it down in the microwave before combining it with the other components of this DIY Vapor Chest Rub.
What Type of Container Should I Use?
When storing the Vapor Chest Rub, be sure to use a container that comes with an airtight lid. You can use a mason jar, but there is nothing wrong with using plastic containers with lids. You can find containers for your chest rub in home good stores and on Amazon.com.
Where Can I Apply the Chest Rub?
While it’s most common for people to apply this rub to the chest, hence the name, you can put it on other parts of your body. Along with your chest, consider rubbing a light amount of it on your throat. It will provide a soothing, slightly tingling sensation that feels good, especially when you have a cough or sore throat. Some people like to apply the rub to their feet, too.
If you’re going to apply the DIY Vapor Chest Rub to your feet, cover the feet with plastic wrap, and then put on a thick pair of socks to keep everything in place. Your body will soak in all those essential oils at a faster pace when you do this with the rub.
When you’re experiencing back pain or dealing with a lot of congestion, consider putting the rub on both your back and chest simultaneously. You’ll get to experience such soothing relief. Make sure you’re wearing comfortable, loose-fitting clothes when you’re applying this chest rub. While it won’t stain your clothes, it’s better to wear something you don’t mind getting messy because some of the products will rub off on your clothes.
What you need
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated beeswax or soy wax.
30 drops peppermint essential oil
30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
30 drops frankincense essential oil
Related: DIY Homemade Febreze
Add olive oil.
Melt and add the beeswax.
Next, Add the peppermint essential oil.
Add the frankincense essential oil
Add the eucalyptus essential oil
Stir until the mixture is well blended.
Gently pour the mixture into a container that has a tight lid. I made several small ones to keep and give away as gifts.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated beeswax or soy wax.
- 30 drops peppermint essential oil
- 30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 30 drops frankincense essential oil
- Melt your coconut oil and add to a medium glass bowl. You can use a double boiler or the microwave.
- Add olive oil.
- Next, melt and add the beeswax.
- Add the peppermint essential oil.
- Add the frankincense essential oil
- Add the eucalyptus essential oil
- Stir until the mixture is well blended.
- Gently pour the mixture into a container that has a tight lid. I made several small ones to keep and give away as gifts.