This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
What could be more fun than making a jack-o-lantern s'mores trifle for your next Halloween party? This dessert is easy to make, fun for the kids, and sure to please everyone! All you need is some chocolate cupcakes, peeps, chocolate syrup, and graham crackers. The best part is that you can customize your trifle however you like! So get creative and have some fun with this spooky treat! We have some fun and easy DIY Halloween decorations that would be fun to make with the kiddos too!
Can pudding be used instead of peeps?
You could definitely use pudding as a replacement for peeps in a smores trifle, but I think it would be much better with the actual marshmallows. The peeps add a bit of sweetness and chewiness that would be missing with just the pudding. Plus, they're so festive and fun!
Related: Witches Brew Cupcakes
Can you use a different theme other than Jack-O-Lanterns?
Yes! You would just simply need to switch out the Jack-O-Lantern peeps for different ones, simple as that!
Do they need to be refrigerated?
No, the smores trifle jars do not need to be refrigerated if not eaten right away. However, if you are planning on storing them for more than a few days, it is best to refrigerate them.
What you need to make the S'mores Trifle
Half Pint Jelly Jars – Half Pint Jelly Jars are perfect for your next dessert! They're not only great for jams but also for making fun desserts in them.
Mixing Bowls – Looking for versatile and reliable mixing bowls? Look no further than these glass bowls! Ideal for a variety of tasks, from mixing ingredients to whisking up dressings and sauces, this bowl is a kitchen essential. Made from durable materials, it's built to last, meaning you'll enjoy years of trouble-free use.
Cupcake Pan – Cupcake pans are made of high-quality material that ensures even baking and browning. It is also non-stick, so your cupcakes will easily release from the pan. Plus, the pan is easy to clean, so you can enjoy your cupcakes worry-free.
Measuring Cups and Spoons – Looking for an easier way to measure ingredients? These measuring cups and spoons are a must-have in any kitchen. They make it quick and easy to get the perfect measurements
Related: 35 Halloween Snack Ideas for Kids!
Jack-O-Lantern S'more Trifle Ingredients
Graham Cracker Crumbs
Cupcake Ingredients –
Related: Easy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Recipe
Directions for Jack-O-Lantern S'more Trifle
Related: Hot Dog Mummies Recipe
Let cool completely before assembling your trifles.
Assembling the Trifles –
Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, use your fingers or a butter knife and rip them apart one at a time. Place ½ of the cupcake in the bottom of the jar. Next layer with some of the graham cracker crumbs. I did about 1 cm but it doesn't have to be perfect.
Related: 21 Halloween Witch Food and Crafts
Next, place four Jack-O-Lantern Peeps around the perimeter of the ½ pint jar facing them outward. Four is the perfect number and they will be able to touch and support themselves. Add some chocolate cupcake in the middle section and then some on top of the Jack-O-Lanterns and then another layer of graham cracker crumbs.
Again, it doesn't have to be perfect and if you have older kiddos they can help with the layering.
Use the chocolate syrup as a topping and enjoy! Easy!
- 48 Jack-O-Lantern Peeps (if making 12 mini trifles – this recipe will make 12)
- 2 C. of graham cracker crumbs (I place graham crackers in a large Ziploc and use a rolling pin to crush).
- 1 container of chocolate syrup to pour over the trifles.
- 12 ½ pint jelly jars
- ½ C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 C. milk
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 ½ C. flour
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 C. cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 12ct. cupcake tin.
- In a medium bowl combine the ½ cup of softened butter, 2 eggs, milk, sugar and vinegar. Beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Mix well and slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients stirring until smooth and all lumps are gone.
- Pour the batter evenly into the cupcake tin and bake 19-21 minutes. Around 19 minutes insert a clean toothpick into the cupcakes and if it comes out clean they are done.
- Let cool completely before assembling your trifles.
- Assembling the Trifles
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, use your fingers or a butter knife and rip them apart one at a time. Place ½ of the cupcake in the bottom of the jar. Next layer with some of the graham cracker crumbs. I did about 1 cm but it doesn't have to be perfect.
- Next, place four Jack-O-Lantern Peeps around the perimeter of the ½ pint jar facing them outward. Four is the perfect number and they will be able to touch and support themselves. Add some chocolate cupcake in the middle section and them some on top of the Jack-O-Lanterns and then another layer of graham cracker crumbs.
- Again, it doesn't have to be perfect and if you have older kiddos they can help with the layering.
- Use the chocolate syrup as a topping and enjoy! Easy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
And there you have it! Our delicious and festive jack-o-lantern s'mores trifle. We hope you give this recipe a try for your next Halloween party or just for a fun dessert at home – it’s sure to be a hit! If you do make this recipe, we want to see your creations! Share pictures of them with us in the comments!