This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Addicting No-Bake Hot Chocolate Lasagna Icebox Cake
I love this recipe because it’s no-bake. I have made layers 1 and two and had to go run errands and be gone half the day and can come back and finish it up. It’s very easy and the hardest part is waiting for each layer to first before building the next one!
What is an icebox cake?
An icebox cake is a dessert consisting of whipped cream and wafer cookies normally. The cake is then left overnight in the refrigerator or freezer instead of baking. The freezer and refrigerator used to be called an icebox, so that is where the cake got the name.
Could I use cool whip instead of making my own whipped cream?
For the topping yes you can, you just need to make sure it’s thawed well to be able to spread it. For the 2nd layer with the hot chocolate whipped cream no you wouldn’t unless you want to skip the hot chocolate flavor.
Related: Lemon Depression Cake Recipe
Can I use a different crust?
Yes, I love all things Oreos but I saw someone making one like this with a crushed pecan crust. You could use a chocolate chip cookie crust or graham cracker crust.
Can I store the cake in the refrigerator instead of the freezer?
You can but it will be runny and won’t have the firm noticeable layers like in the photo. It’s best to store in the freezer.
Just a quick tip guys if you love this recipe? You will want to try our just as Addicting Oreo Dirt Pie Recipe. It’s oh so good, and trust me you will love it!
- 1 pkg Oreo cookies, ground
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick of butter)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick of butter)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 envelopes individual instant hot cocoa mix
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream, I also have a Heavy Cream Substitute recipe if needed
- 4 Hershey Pudding cups
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Chocolate Sauce Topping
Layer 1 the Oreo Crust
- To make the oreo crust take your package of Oreo cookies and you can use a food processor and ground in fine crumbs, or put them in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to smash them to bits. I prefer this method and it's a stress reliever!
- Stir in melted butter and press the mixture in the bottom of greased 13 x 9 inches casserole dish. I like to use parchment paper to help me press it down and not make a mess.
- Place in the freezer to firm while you make the next layer.
Layer 2 Hot Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse
- This is where my hot chocolate whipped creme makes its appearance! Start by beating the softened butter and cream cheese together and then add in the vanilla and 1 cup powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. If you plan to mix this by hand sift in the powdered sugar to avoid lumps.
- In another bowl beat the 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream and instant hot chocolate powder until stiff peaks form. This is the hot chocolate whipped cream!
- Fold in half of the hot chocolate whipped cream into cheesecake mixture, then fold in another half to combine. Then, spread over the crust and set in the freezer to firm for at least 30 minutes.
Layer 3 Pudding Layer
- I used the packs of Hershey's premade pudding. If you want a thicker pudding layer, double the pudding, and milk here.
- Add the pudding cups and 1/2 cup of milk and whisk together until smooth. Spread over the hot chocolate layer and place it in the freezer to set for another 30 minutes.
Layer 4 Whipped Cream Layer
- Once the pudding layer is set, beat the 2 cups heaving whipping cream and 6 tablespoons of powdered sugar together until it forms stiff peaks and looks like whipped cream!
- Spread over the pudding layer and freeze for a few hours or even overnight.
- Before serving cover the top with mini marshmallows you can push them into the whipped cream layer slightly.
- Then drizzle over the chocolate sauce, slice and serve.
- Make sure to store all the leftovers in the freezer. I have stored them in the fridge and the lasagna just doesn't hold it's shaped.
- Summer Fun on a Budget - July 9, 2020
- Over 700 Free Pumpkin Carving Stencils From Disney to Kate Middleton - July 6, 2020
- Best Margarita Recipe – Easy Slushie Margarita Recipe - June 29, 2020