This post may contain affiliate or referral links. Read more about this in our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot recipes are so easy to make that it seems to be everyone's new favorite thing. This is why our Instant Pot Recipes Page is so popular! So today we add another recipe to that page. Our Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe. Cheesy, gooey goodness done in the ease of the Instant Pot!
Easy Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Have you made potatoes in the Instant Pot? Oh, my word it's so easy and shortens the cooking time and it tastes just as yummy!
Few questions I have had about this recipe before we get into it.
What goes with au gratin potatoes?
I absolutely LOVE having ham with my Au Gratins! Then the next day, take the leftover ham mix it into the potatoes for a new meal.
Anything pork goes great with Au Gratin potatoes. Roasted chicken, honey mustard chicken too and just about anything from the grill.
Can au gratin potatoes be frozen?
Yes! Cook them in a casserole dish ( I like using the disposable aluminum ones with the lids) Cook it like normal and then let it cool. Add the lid and freeze.
When ready to reheat take the pan and defrost in the fridge and then cook in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed all the way through.
Related: Easy Instant Pot Lasagna Recipe
Please, note I do finish these potatoes in the oven under a broiler for a few minutes because I LOVE that super crispy crust!
You can skip this part and mix and serve if you want.
Ok on to the yummy stuff!
Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes Ingredients
6-8 Medium Potatoes
1 Small Onion
1 Cup Chicken Broth
2 Tbs Butter
½ Tsp Salt
¼ Tsp Black Pepper
½ Cup Sour Cream
1 Cup Shredded Cheese (I used Cheddar and Monterey Jack)
3 Tbs Butter
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes Directions
Slice potatoes to ¼ inch thickness. I left skins on but feel free to peel if desired.
Set Instant Pot to sauté and add 2 Tbs butter. Once butter is fully melted add finely chopped onion. Cook until tender and slightly golden.
Add broth and salt and pepper to onions. Place a steamer basket into the Instant Pot and add potatoes.
Place lid and set to manual, high pressure, for 5 min. While the pressure cooker is cooking preheat the oven broiler.
In a small dish melt 3 Tbs butter and mix with Panko bread crumbs. Set aside.
When 5 minutes is up quick-release pressure and remove potatoes.
Place them in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Stir sour cream and cheese in remaining cooking liquid in the Instant Pot. Stir until cheese is melted.
Pour over potatoes and mix in gently.
Top with Panko mixture and broil for 3-5 minutes.
Old Fashioned Instant Pot Potato Au Gratin
Old Fashioned Au Gratin Potatoes in the Instant Pot. Fast and easy!
- 6-8 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Cup Broth, of choice
- 2 Tbs Butter
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese, cheddar/Monterey Jack
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Slice potatoes to ¼ inch thickness. I left skins on but feel free to peel if desired.
- Set instant pot to sauté and add 2 Tbs butter.
- Once butter is fully melted add finely chopped onion.
- Cook until tender and slightly golden add broth and salt and pepper to onions.
- Place a steamer basket in instant pot and add potatoes.
- Place lid and set to manual, high pressure, for 5 min. While the pressure cooker is cooking preheat broiler.
- In a small dish melt 3 Tbs butter and mix with Panko bread crumbs. Set aside.
- When 5 minutes is up quick-release pressure and remove potatoes. Place them in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Stir sour cream and cheese in remaining cooking liquid in the pressure cooker. Stir until cheese is melted. Pour over potatoes and mix in gently.
- Top with Panko mixture and broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 350Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 11gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 50mgSodium 663mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 6gSugar 2gProtein 12g
Ann Stough says
Fantastic! Thank you so much for this recipe! I will never make scalloped potatoes any other way.